Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Recipe of the Week

I've been asked to do another slow cooker recipe this week...

Cuban Sandwiches
(If you've never had one they might sound a little weird, but they are really, really good!)

This recipe uses shredded pork, so here is how I make mine:

3# boneless pork roast
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oregano
Seasoned salt
Broth or water

Place roast in slow cooker and add remaining ingredients; sprinkle roast w/ seasoned salt. Cover roast completely with some type of liquid (I would use chicken or beef broth, but you can use water) and cook on low for about 10 hours.

When roast is tender, shred with a fork.

For the sandwich itself you will need:

Sub buns
Dill pickle slices (sandwich-sized)
Thinly sliced deli ham (I use the pre-packaged kind, like Hillshire Farm)
Sliced cheese (Swiss, Baby Swiss, Provolone...whatever you like)

Layer 1-2 slices of cheese on top of a sub bun, then shredded pork, dill pickle slices, and ham. Smoosh (this is a very technical cooking term) the sandwich down as much as you can and place it on foil under the broiler for a couple of minutes, watching so it doesn't burn. The sandwich is done when the bread gets a little crispy on the outside. Also, if you have a panini maker, you could make the sandwich that way and it would probably turn out even better.

If you try this recipe, leave me a comment and let me know what you think! I'm open to suggestions for what types of recipes you'd like to see here as well.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an awesome dinner! Thanks for visiting my blog and entering the giveaway! I have placed you in my "favorites" and plan to come back often. I hope you will too! :)

    Diane

    ReplyDelete